The Ilitch Department of Surgery
About the Department
Our Chairman's Message
- First, the majority of the faculty are engaged in either basic or clinical research, or both, which adds greater depth to their teaching.
- Second, most of our faculty have more than one clinical interest or subspecialty.
- Third, the faculty are dedicated teachers.
- Fourth, each of our hospitals where residents rotate has full-time surgical faculty primarily based at that institution.
- Finally, the regional and national reputations and contacts of the faculty provide an extensive network, helping our residents with their plans after they have completed their training.
Wayne State School of Medicine
Wayne State’s history began in 1868, when five physicians who witnessed the crude medical treatment on Civil War battlefields committed themselves to advancing health education and care in Detroit. They founded the Detroit Medical College, which has since transformed into our School of Medicine. Click the button to check out the School of Medicine’s own website.