Ruben Gomez, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Surgery (Clinician Educator)
General, Burn and Surgical Critical Care
Wayne State University School of Medicine
SPECIALTY: Burn, Surgical Critical Care
PRIMARY SITE: Detroit Receiving Hospital
OTHER AFFILIATIONS: Harper/Hutzel University Hospital; Sinai-Grace Hospital and Karmanos Cancer Center
CLINICAL INTERESTS: Biochemical Research, Hyperbaric Medicine, Surgery Burn
– National Board Medical Examiners – Board Certified
– American Board Surgery (Sub: Surgical Critical Care) – Board Certified
– American Board of Surgery – Board Certified
– Ph.D. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
– M.D. – University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
– B.S. – Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
– Surgical Critical Care Fellow, UT Southwestern Medical Center/Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
– Burn Surgery Fellow, Institute of Surgical Research Burn Unit, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX
– Post-Doctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Jon Kaguni, Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
– General Surgery Residency, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI
Association of mitochondrial allele 4216C with increased risk for sepsis-related organ dysfunction and shock after burn injury.
Huebinger RM, Gomez R, McGee D, Chang LY, Bender JE, O’Keeffe T, Burris AM, Friese SM, Purdue GF, Hunt JL, Arnoldo BD, Horton JW, Barber RC.
Shock. 2010 Jan;33(1):19-23
Causes of mortality by autopsy findings of combat casualties and civilian patients admitted to a burn unit.
Gomez R, Murray CK,Â Hospenthal DR, Cancio LC, Renz EM, Holcomb JB, Wade CE, Wolf SE.
J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Mar;208(3):348-54.
Association of mitochondrial allele 4216C with increased risk for complicated sepsis and death after traumatic injury.
Gomez R, O’Keeffe T, Chang LY,Â Huebinger RM, Minei JP, Barber RC.
J Trauma. 2009 Mar;66(3):850-7; discussion 857-8.
Medical Students – General surgery clerkship, PMP fluids/electrolytes/acid base, Didactic sessions Burns, ATLS student course
Residents – Mock orals PGY 3, ATLS instructor