Ramesh Babu Batchu, M.Phil., Ph.D.
Director, Division of Surgical Oncology and Developmental Therapeutics
The Michael and Marian Ilitch Department of Surgery
Wayne State University School of Medicine
John D Dingell VAMC
John D Dingell VAMC
Office Room B4235
4646 John R Road, Detroit, MI 48201, USA
Laboratory: B4242, Phone: 313-576-3002
Laboratory: B4321, Phone: 1-313-576-3304
SPECIALTY: Immuno-gene therapy and RNA interference
PRIMARY SITE: John D Dingell VAMC
AFFILIATIONS: John D Dingell VAMC
RESEARCH INTERESTS: PANCREATIC AND OVARIAN CANCERS
– M.Sc., University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, India
– M.Phil., Ph.D., Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
– Post-doctoral Fellowship: University of Arkansas, Little Rock, AR.
1. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Mahmud EM, Chukr F, Dachepalli R, Manmari SK, Mostafa G, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. Inhibition of IL-10 in the tumor microenvironment can restore mesothelin chimeric antigen receptor T cell activity in pancreatic cancer in vitro. Surgery. 2018 Mar;163:627-632. PMID: 29336814.
2. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Mahmud EM, Rohondia S, Manmari SK, Tavva SP, Udaya PS, Mostafa G, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. Inhibition of IL-10 augments mesothelin chimeric antigen receptor T cell activity in epithelial ovarian cancer. J Am Coll Surg. 227(4):e215-e216. 2018.
3. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Mahmud EM, Chukr FK, Dachepalli R, Manmari SK, Tiruvaipati A, Mostafa G, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. Mesothelin Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR)-Mediated Therapy for Ovarian Cancer. J Am Coll Surg. 225(4): e47. 2017.
4. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Qazi AM, Mahmud EM, Mostafa G, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. Pancreatic Cancer Cell Lysis by Cell-Penetrating Peptide-MAGE-A3-Induced Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes. JAMA Surg. 2016 Nov 1; 151:1086. PMID: 27851862.
5. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Qazi AM, Kaur J, Mahmud EM, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. Enhanced phosphorylation of p53 by microRNA-26a leading to growth inhibition of pancreatic cancer. Surgery. 2015 Oct; 158:981. PMID: 26189069.
6. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Moreno-Bost AM, Szmania S, Jayandharan G, Srivastava A, Kolli BK, Weaver DW, van Rhee F, Gruber SA. Efficient lysis of epithelial ovarian cancer cells by MAGE-A3-induced cytotoxic T lymphocytes using rAAV-6 capsid mutant vector. Vaccine. 2014 Feb 12; 32:938. PMID: 24406390.
7. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn OV, Bryant CS, Qazi AM, Kumar S, Chamala S, Kung ST, Sanka RS, Puttagunta US, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. Ritonavir-Mediated Induction of Apoptosis in Pancreatic Cancer Occurs via the RB/E2F-1 and AKT Pathways. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2014 Jan 9; 7:46. PMID: 24451403.
8. Batchu RB, Gruzdyn O, Potti RB, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. MAGE-A3 with cell-penetrating domain as an efficient therapeutic cancer vaccine. JAMA Surg. 2014 May; 149:451. PMID: 24671426.
9. Seward S, Semaan A, Qazi AM, Gruzdyn OV, Chamala S, Bryant CC, Kumar S, Cameron D, Sethi S, Ali-Fehmi R, Morris R, Bouwman DL, Munkarah AR, Weaver DW, Gruber SA, Batchu RB. EZH2 blockade by RNA interference inhibits growth of ovarian cancer by facilitating re-expression of p21(waf1/cip1) and by inhibiting mutant p53. Cancer Lett. 2013 Aug 9; 336:53. PMID: 23603558.
10. Batchu RB, Qazi AM, Gruzdyn OV, Semaan A, Seward SM, Chamala S, Dhulipala VB, Bouwman DL, Weaver DW, Gruber SA. EZH2-shRNA-mediated upregulation of p21waf1/cip1 and its transcriptional enhancers with concomitant downmodulation of mutant p53 in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Surgery. 2013 Oct; 154:739.
Medical Students – Instruction in laboratory research, cell culture techniques associated with RNA interference projects.
Graduate Students – Honors thesis with immunotherapy projects, instruction in laboratory research, cell culture techniques.
Residents – Laboratory training, process of blood products, dendritic cell and T cell-related culture work.