Michael White, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Surgery
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Associate Program Director, General Surgery Residency
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State University School of Medicine
SPECIALTY: Surgical Critical Care, Trauma, Burn Surgery
PRIMARY SITE: Detroit Receiving Hospital, Harper University Hospital
OTHER AFFILIATIONS: Sinai-Grace Hospital, Harper University Hospital, Hutzel Women’s Hospital, Karmanos Cancer Center, and Rehabilitation Institute of Michigan
– Michigan Chapter-Society of Critical Care Medicine
– Society of Critical Care Medicine
– American College of Surgeons
– Michigan Committee on Trauma (MCOT)
– Central Surgical Association
– American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
– Association for Surgical Education
– Society of American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons
– International Society for Burn Surgeries
– Undersea & Hyperbaric Medicine
– Midwest Surgical Association
– American Burn Association
– American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
– Academy of Surgery of Detroit
– Association for Academic Surgery
– Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
CLINICAL INTERESTS: Surgical Critical Care, Trauma Surgery, Burn Surgery, Hyperbaric Medicine
– American Board of Surgery – Surgical Critical Care
– American Board of General Surgery
M.D. – Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
B.S., Biology – Nazareth College, Kalamazoo, MI
– General Surgery Residency, Wayne State University/The Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI
– Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, Wayne State University/The Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI
- Faris J, Wilson J, Dolman HS, Isaacson A, Baylor AE, Tyburski JG, White MT: A cautionary tale of Etanercept use in patients with toxic epidermal necrolysis. JBCR, Oct 31, 2020 (PMID 33128367).
- White MT, Drapiza M, Mattos MA, Edelman DA: An automated system for video documentation of all instances of fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery training: feasibility and potential advantages of extended assessment. Am J Surg, 209(1):158-162, Jan 2015 (PMID 25467304).
- Macedo FI, Faris J, Lum LG, Gabali A, Uberti JP, Ratanatharathorn V, White MT: Extensive toxic epidermal necrolysis versus acute graft versus host disease after allogenic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: challenges in diagnosis and management. JBCR, 35(6):e431-e435, Nov-Dec 2014.
- White MT, Welch K: Does Gender Predict Performance of Novices Undergoing Fundamentals of Laparoscopic (FLS) Surgery? Am J Surg, 203(3):397-400, March 2012 (PMID 22364906).
- White MT, Diebel LN, Ledgerwood AM, Lucas CE: The Significance of a Serum Creatinine in Defining Renal Function in Seriously Injured and Septic Patients. J Trauma, 70(2):421-427, Feb 2011.
Medical students – premedical history/physical, didactics, operating room/clinic, cadaver courses
Residents – ATLS/ABLS Course Director, ASSET course, SEMCME Advanced Ultrasound Course, rounds in clinics/operating room, research
Teaching interests: Surgical Critical Care, Burn Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Hyperbaric Medicine