David Gorski, MD, PhD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery and Oncology
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Medical Director, Alexander J. Walt
Comprehensive Breast Center
Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute
PRIMARY SITE: Karmanos Cancer Center
AFFILIATIONS: Harper University Hospital
CLINICAL INTERESTS: Breast and Oncologic Surgery
– American Board Of Surgery Board Certified
– Ph.D. – Cellular Physiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
– M.D. – University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
– B.S. – University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
– General Surgery Residency, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
– Surgical Oncology Research Fellowship, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
POSITIONS / OTHER:
– Co-Medical Director, Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative
– Co-Chair, Cancer Committee, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center
– American College of Surgeons Committee on Cancer (ACS CoC) Cancer Liaison Physician
– Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO and Breast Cancer Research Foundation Advanced Clinical Research Award in Breast Cancer, 2007.
– Co-Director of MiBOQI (Michigan Breast Oncology Quality Initiative), a state-wide initiative to improve the quality of breast cancer care using evidence-based guidelines that encompasses . MiBOQI was founded in 2006 and now encompasses 25 participating sites that range from community hospitals to NCI-designated comprehensive cancer centers, such as the University of Michigan and the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and 421 participating MDs, registering approximately 4,000 patients per year and over 150 cases/site/year.
– Managing Editor of the Science-Based Medicine weblog, as well as a once-weekly contributor. SBM exists to take a skeptical, science-based view of medicine in general and in particular the infiltration of pseudoscientific practices into medicine, even in academic medical centers.
PI – Barbara Ann Karmanos Strategic Initiative Research Grant (SIRG), September 15, 2012 to September 14, 2013
microRNA-130a: A potential biomarker and target in triple negative breast cancer.
PI – A Prognostic Study of Sentinel Node and Bone Marrow Metastases in Women with Clinical T1 or T2 N0 M0 Breast Cancer, 2009-present.
PI – A Randomized Trial of Axillary Node Dissection in Women With Clinical T1 or T2 N0 M0 Breast Cancer Who Have A Positive Sentinel Node, 2009-present.
PI – A Randomized Phase III Trial Comparing 16 to 18 Weeks of Neoadjuvant Exemestane (25mg daily), Letrozole (2.5 mg), or Anastrozole (1 mg) in Postmenopausal Women with Clinical Stage II and III Estrogen Receptor Positive Breast Cancer, 2009-present.
Co- Chair – ECOG Protocol #2301: A Randomized Phase II Study of BMS-247550 (NSC #710428) Given Daily x 5 Days Every 3 Weeks or Weekly in Patients with Metastatic or Recurrent Squamous Cell Cancer of the Head and Neck, 2003-2005.
Residents – Bedside teaching in hospital/clinic, didactic/socratic