Charles Shanley, MD, FACS
Professor of Surgery (Part-Time, Research)
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Dr. Shanley is a vascular surgeon and critical care specialist. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the Society for Vascular Surgery and past president of the Michigan Vascular Society and the Detroit Surgical Association. His basic research focused on biomedical device and technology innovation including applied simulation has been funded by the U.S. Army Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC); the Michigan Economic Development Corporation (MEDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). He currently serves on the Health Care Patient Safety and Quality Study Section of the Agency for Health Care Research and Quality (AHRQ) and was appointed to the Circulatory Devices Advisory Panel at the FDA. Over the past decade, Dr. Shanley has served in a variety of leadership roles within the Beaumont Health System, the Detroit Medical Center, WSU School of Medicine and the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine.
-Aortic Aneurysm and Occlusive Disease
-Carotid Artery Atherosclerosis
-Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
-Diseases of the Aorta and its Branches
-Peripheral Artery Disease
-Renal and Mesenteric Vascular Disorders
-Surgical Critical Care
-Vertebral Artery Atherosclerosis
– American Board Surgery – Board Certified
– American Board Surgery (Sub: General Vascular Surgery) – Board Certified
– American Board Surgery (Sub: Critical Care Surgery) – Board Certified
– Registered Vascular Technologist – Board Certified
M.D. – Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
B.S. – Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
– Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
– Clinical Fellow, Section of Vascular Surgery, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
– Research Fellow, Conrad Jobst Vascular Research Laboratories, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
– Research Fellow – Extracorporeal Circulation Research Laboratories, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
– Critical Care Fellowship, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
– General Surgery Residency, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
Platelet function after cessation of chronic clopidogrel therapy.
Perakis PG, Yunus T, Long G, Cheema ZF, Hammond R, Shanley CJ.
Am Surg. 2012 Jan;78(1):51-6.
A wireless and battery-less miniature intracardiac pressure sensor: early implantation studies.
Hammond RL, Hanna K, Morgan C, Perakis P, Najafi N, Long GW, Shanley CJ.
ASAIO J. 2012 Jan-Feb;58(1):83-7.
Outcomes analysis of intraoperative adjuncts during minimally invasive parathyroidectomy for primary hyperparathyroidism.
Nagar S, Reid D, Czako P, Long G, Shanley C.
Am J Surg. 2012 Feb;203(2):177-81.
Accelerating the pace of surgical quality improvement: the power of hospital collaboration.
Campbell DA Jr, Englesbe MJ, Kubus JJ, Phillips LR, Shanley CJ, Velanovich V, Lloyd LR, Hutton MC, Arneson WA, Share DA.
Arch Surg. 2010 Oct;145(10):985-91.
Marcia and Eugene Applebaum Surgical Learning Center.
Stefaniak J, Schumacher K, Robbins J, Shanley C.
J Surg Educ. 2010 Jul-Aug;67(4):251-4.
Lecturer, Morbidity-Morality conferences, clinical procedure and laboratory precepting
Residents Lecturer, Morbidity-Morality conferences, clinical procedure and laboratory precepting